Home Forums DNP Professional Growth The Discouragement Received From Nurse Colleagues When Pursuing DNP Reply To: The Discouragement Received From Nurse Colleagues When Pursuing DNP

Megann Synnott
Participant

There is truth the debt to degree argument and I think about this often. That’s one of the ways that nursing remains stuck in this elitism/ colonizer mindset. We make advancing prohibitive for a lot of people who would be wonderful in a different area. However, the benefit is do you want it? It’s a terminal nursing degree. There is nothing anyone else can ask of you, unless you want to augment your education with an MBA or another degree. It allows you access to teach, to be in executive leadership. It’s about knowing what doors you want to open for yourself. If money is truly the only factor that makes a DNP seem less than desirable or pointless, there’s a whole world of corporate nursing out there. If you look, you will find a job that will reward the degree. Personally, I just don’t believe in limiting myself. I want a degree that unlocks all doors, and that’s the DNP.